Thursday 9 April 2009

the stage is set

Easter is another one of those holiday weekends that I absolutely love. I've spent the day stocking up on treats, sweets and delicious foods. I went to the Borough Markets first thing in the morning. It's a fantastic food market near London Bridge that has stood on its current site for over 250 years. There's a range of chocolates, cheeses, poultry, fish, regional specialties and fruits and veg, as well as home made products like jam and baked goods. The only thing the store holders have in common is a passion for food quality and local ingredients.
I picked up only those things too good to resist (particularly cheese, glorious cheese) and then came back to the little shops in my neighbourhood. I am really lucky to live in a little village on the outskirts of London. Our high street boasts a cheese shop, a fantastic fish monger, a butchery, a bakery, and a top notch fruit and veg shop which is always brimming with organic, seasonal produce.

There are so many benefits to shopping this way rather than in a supermarket, but one of the biggest advantages for me is the advice you can get from the store holders. Because they tend to be passionate about their particular trade, they have loads of knowledge and have always been really happy to help. This has been particularly useful at the butchery. "Hi. I'm a recovering vegetarian. What meats are good to roast?" And my florist is am.az.ing.
Once back at home base, I baked up a storm. Hot cross buns, Easter cookies and various other things... We will be indulging in an Easta Feasta all weekend. Stay tuned for pics!
dd.x

No comments:

Post a Comment