Sunday 5 April 2009

cooking challenge week fourteen: yasai katsu curry

Katsu curry is a relatively new tradition in Japan, but is very popular. It's a Japanese take on an American/Indian curry sauce. The difference is that it is, bizarrely enough, sweetened with apple and banana, while the spice comes from Indian madras curry powder. So strange but really nice.
You will need:

For the curry sauce:

2 ripe bananas, sliced
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
3 cox apples, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons madras (hot) curry powder
2 tablespoons butter
4 cups water
2 cups vegie/chicken stock
3 tablespoons cornflour

For the vegetables:
1 egg
1/2 cup flour
1 cup PANKO breadcrumbs
Oil for deep frying

Vegetables

What to do:

In a large saucepan, melt the butter and fry off the finely diced onion, garlic, apple and banana. Stir constantly for two minutes, until softened. Add 3 cups of water, the ketchup, honey, turmeric and curry powder. Stir well. Simmer for ten minutes then add stock. Stir 3 tablespoons of cornflour into the remaining cup of water. Add this to the curry and simmer for 30 minutes until thickened and reduced.

Strain through a colander to remove solids and return to the saucepan. Continue to simmer and thicken until ready to serve.
For the vegetables:

Slice eggplant and sweet potato into 1cm thick rounds. Dip them in flour, then egg wash, then PANKO breadcrumbs. Deep fry. Once they float to the top, they are ready (the PANKO breadcrumbs will darken once you remove them from the oil).

Serve with steamed rice and some green salad (I used Japanese pickled cabbage and cucumber).

6 comments:

  1. Im soooo trying this later!!!!
    thanksss

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for this, I'll be trying it too, its my very favorite thing at wagamama, even got their cookbook to see if it was in there, but sadly it wasn't

    ReplyDelete
  3. fasterpussycat15 July 2010 at 11:34

    I did try this and it is every bit as delicious as the wagamama one. I made the sauce and put it over some fish fillets (basa) and some veg and popped them in the oven for about 20 mins. Have to say I used a little less butter and I did not add so much water and cornflour as the recipe, and I liquidised it with my trusty stick blender, but otherwise I used all the same ingredients and the same method. It was GORGEOUS and will definitely be a regular ! I think next time I might try adding a little finely chopped ginger... Thank you so much dolcidoll and congratulations for the upcoming happy event !

    ReplyDelete
  4. fasterpussycat - thanks so much! So glad to hear it worked for you. I absolutely love it. I must admit, it's as much about the panko breadcrumb coated veg for me as it is about the sauce ;) ddx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes deep fried veg...extremely yummy but extremely bad for my (and other half's) ever expanding waistline...that's the main problem with loving cooking... BTW I tried it with ginger...nah...this recipe does NOT need extra ingredients, perfect as it is. I made it with fish again this week for my sister and her family and it all disappeared very quickly. She, like me, did not believe these ingredients could make a sauce sooooo delicious. thanks again !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taste amazing! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete