Sunday 15 November 2009

cooking challenge 28: chocolate and date brownies

I absolutely love brownies, and always have. There's something about the rich, moist, melt in your mouth, crumbly sweetness that just knocks my socks off.

I made these as a gift, hence the wrapping, but I ended up eating all the ones that didn't fit in the box. Whoopsies. However, I can still thoroughly recommend these as a gift, or party treat, or just something to whip up and take into work for friends!

You will need:

240g good quality dark chocolate (70%)
1 cup caster sugar
150g unsalted butter
3 eggs, beaten lightly
1/2 cup dried dates, chopped
1 cup plain flour

What to do:

Preheat oven to 180'c and lightly grease a shallow baking tin.

Over a moderate heat in a small saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from heat and add 200g of the chocolate and stir constantly until it is a liquid. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate for a maximum of 10 minutes - do not allow the butter to set.

Remove from fridge and stir in sugar, eggs and flour until combined. Add dates and remaining 40g of chocolate. Pour into the prepared baking tin and use a spatula to smooth the surface.

Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing and serving. Dust with cocoa or icing sugar.

Next time I make these, I think I will add macadamia nuts, or ginger, or orange rind. Something to make them just a little more sophisticated. Of course, Baileys would also do the trick...!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my yum!!! :)
    Brownies and baileys sound amazing!!!
    The wrapping is gorgeous too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just stumbled on your blog and I love it. Just sorry I haven't been following you for a year of cooking goodness.
    Will definitely be back to have a look through the archives and try out a few recipes!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must thank you for the efforts you've put in penning this blog. I really hope to view the same high-grade content by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own site now ;)
    My web blog ... Interior Design Ideas

    ReplyDelete