Tuesday 16 June 2009

vegetarian sausages

I fell in love, properly, with cooking when I was about 12. My mum had this fabulous recipe book - the name escapes me at present, but I think it might have been Green Feasts? I would pour over it page by glorious page and taste the flavours with my eyes. The only recipe I ever actually produced from the pages of that book was a vegetarian sausage. It was a long time ago, so I've forgotten the exact recipe, but the essentials are unchanging and easily replicated.

You will need:

Approximately 3/4 of a standard size loaf of bread
1 free range organic egg
1 corn (on the cob)
1 small cooking onion
3 garlic cloves
1 cup loosely packed flat leaf parsley
1 small red bell pepper
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated and loosely packed (optional)

Olive oil for frying.

What to do:


Preheat the oven to 180'c.

In a food processor, wizz the bread until you have coarse breadcrumbs. Remove half of the mixture and put it in a mixing bowl. Quarter the onion and peel the garlic cloves. Add them to the processor and blitz until a moist mixture forms. Add the parsley and pulse for a few seconds. Transfer the wet bread and onion mixture to the large mixing bowl. Slice the corn from the cob and add to the mixing bowl, as well as the bell pepper, diced. If using, add cheddar cheese.

Whisk the egg in a small bowl and add to the bread mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Use your hands to form sausages - the above quantities should yield about 10 - 12 small and fat sausages.

Fry over moderate heat, rotating every few minutes until properly sealed. Transfer to an oven tray and finish off for about 15 minutes.

Yummy and healthy breakfast. dd.x

No comments:

Post a Comment